Use This Drill to Teach Rolling – Often Also Referred to as Bobbing and Weaving.
In today’s drill, we’re essentially adding to drill #1 with Lightsaber drill #2. The salient movement today in the bob and weave – often times referred to as “rolling.” In this case, we’ll isolate the rolling drill initially in this way:
- Describing the utility and usefulness of the new motion,
- Highlight various physical cues that the students can use to confirm success,
- Work the drill “dry” in the mirror for 1-3 minutes,
- Partner up throughout the class and illustrates how to us the Lightsaber,
- Provide a few working rules – position, rate of speed, and on-going tempo,
- Launch the drill and switch after every 1-3 minute rounds and
- Add the slipping motion to the drill (ensure you review and add this step).
Again, this drill was designed to allow the students to develop more physical prowess – to control the body in motion.
Kids love these drills and the foam sabers are a great teaching tool, allowing the student to physically confirm an error without paying a heavy price.
Check out the video and enjoy!